Sunday, June 28, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLY!!!

Today is Kelly's birthday!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY KELLY!! I hope you're stuffed to the gills with Kobe hibachi food tonight. I'm looking forward to our brunch/lunch later this week!

Speaking of food, here's another "frugal" tip I learned that I tried out last night. How to stretch ground beef for only pennies (and make it healthier, too!):

LENTIL-BULGUR "GROUND BEEF" STRETCHER
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup dried lentils
1/2 cup bulgur wheat (found in rice aisle)

Mix all together. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer
until liquid is absorbed (about 15-20 minutes).

I added this to taco meat last night (I doubled up on the taco seasoning to account for the extra volume) and Brent couldn't even tell it wasn't all meat! The bulgur wheat almost has the consistency of ground beef once it's cooked. I've found recipes that make enchiladas out of the bulgur-wheat mixture and leave the beef out altogether. So good--and healthier, too!

0 comments: