Saturday, June 27, 2009

Cleaner Recipes

POWDERED LAUNDRY DETERGENT RECIPE

4 bars of soap (Ivory, Fels Naptha, or your favorite)
3 cups Borax (powder, found in laundry aisle of Kroger/Dillons)
3 cups washing soda (not baking soda, also found in laundry aisle of Kroger/Dillons--I found Arm & Hammer brand)

Grate the bars of soap (you may find that freezing them first helps), then pulse into fine consistency in food processor. Mix soap with Borax and washing soda. ONE tablespoon of this mixture is all that's needed for a normal size load!

I used 1 bar Fels Naptha (found in the laundry aisle for about $1), 2 bars Ivory and 1 bar Irish Spring (the blue bar--it had the strongest "clean" scent) in my batch of soap. If using a soap that has color, I'd limit it to one of the four bars. Please note: This soap doesn't "suds" up, but don't let it fool you. It's getting your clothes clean!
****************************************
FOAMING HAND SOAP RECIPE

Save the bottles that you use from other foaming hand soaps (Bath & Body Works, Dial, etc.), and buy a large bottle of regular hand soap (I use the Equate brand from Wal-Mart, milk & honey scent...love it!). Fill foaming bottle with 1/4 hand soap and 3/4 water, shake to mix.

Who knew it was that easy?!
*******************************************************
BABY WIPES RECIPE

Start with 1 roll Viva paper towels (select-a-size roll). Cut roll in half (with a serrated knife or saw...the end result will look like two oversized toilet paper rolls). Either fold the towels like an accordian ("fan-fold" like you're making a paper fan in grade school) if you want to fit the wipes into an existing wipes container, or leave on roll if you're using a large square plastic container. Mix together:

1 cup water
1 Tblsp. baby wash
1 Tblsp. baby oil
1 Tblsp. baby lotion

Pour water mixture over towels and let soak in. There should be little to no water left over--the towels will absorb the liquid.

If using a large plastic container, the cardboard center of the towels is easily removed once wet. Then you can pull the wipes from the center.

I love these wipes, but my only complaint is that the wipes tear apart too easily at the perforation. I find myself "chasing" the end to get the roll restarted. I'm planning to experiment with different brands of paper towels.
*************************************************
HOW TO STRETCH POWDERED DISHWASHER DETERGENT

To your powdered dishwasher detergent, add equal parts of Borax and baking soda. Your final result should be approximately 1/2 powdered dishwasher detergent, 1/4 Borax and 1/4 baking soda. Some people have complained that this mixture leaves a residue on dishes, but I've found if you put plain white vinegar into the Jet-Dry dispenser it eliminates the residue.
**************************************************
KIDS' HAIR DETANGLER

We go through a lot of detangler for Sophie's hair! I've found that this works as well as any detangler I can buy, and doesn't leave her hair oily looking.

Simply mix your favorite conditioner with water in a spray bottle: 1 part conditioner to 10 parts water.
**************************************************
BEST LAUNDRY STAIN TREATMENT SPRAY EVER!

This is by far my favorite! I've used EVERY laundry stain treater created, and this mixture does the best job on stains. Simply fill a spray bottle with 1/4 Dawn dish soap (original blue formula, NOT generic) and 3/4 water. Mix gently. I keep small spray bottles of this throughout the house so I can treat the stains before sticking the item in the hamper. I've treated stains and then washed the item several days later--it still does the trick!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Your just brilliant! I'm going to link to you in my blog for this. Wait until you read my post, lol! I'm at Lollypops and Lizards http://nmgills.blogspot.com/2009/07/tidy-kidz-review-and-giveaway.html